Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Fritz's Railroad Restaurant

On Saturday for lunch, we decided to go to Fritz's Railroad Restaurant in Crown Center. It was a short drive from downtown, only a few blocks, but it took several minutes because of the Big XII traffic.

We arrived at Crown Center and were pointed in the direction of the kids. Yes, the line at Fritz's was packed with kids and their parents going out for a nice saturday family lunch. My wife and her mother were not very excited about going to it, but her dad and I were pumped.

It was the first time that any of us had ever been there, and I can for sure say that I am excited to go back.

Once we were sat down, we looked at the menus and put together our order. Instead of ordering from a waiter or waitress, we ordered from a telephone. Each booth had a phone rigged up so that you could place your order.

I ordered Fritz's famous burger. The name has escaped me, but it was a double patty with ketchup and mustard and hashbrowns right in between the buns. A bit greasy for sure, but it was delicious. An order of krinkle fries accompanied my burger. My wife had a grilled cheese sandwich and onion rings. She wasn't too impressed with her sandwich but her dad and I were loving our burgers. Her mom got a chicken sandwich and a bowl of meat, I mean chili. Her sandwich was good but the chili was only meat, and not soupy at all.

It was $40 for four people and so that wasn't terribly expensive. The atmosphere was worth it for sure.

When the food arrived, it came by train. A track was set up a foot away from the ceiling and when the train came out, it dropped the food off at the proper table and lowered it down. You really have to be there to understand it, but I have a video that will show it as well. Hopefully I can get that uploaded to here.

All in all, a great experience. Definitely one for the kids, but the young at heart will enjoy it too.

Next time I am getting a conductor's hat!!!



Another Video, when our food is arriving.

No comments: