Sunday, June 8, 2008

Running for Fun???

A few weeks ago, I ran my first 5k. Me, running a 3.1 mile race. I had never done one before and thought that it would be a way to help PlattForm out with Kansas City Corporate Challenge.

So the KCCC 5k was early on a saturday morning and the course was a hilly one at Shawnee Mission Park. I wasn't really sure what to expect, I just knew that cross country runners in high school run a 5k for every race. I was not a cross country runner, but the helpful XC Manager for a few years during high school.

With little practice and preparation, I went for it. I ran what seemed to me to be forever. I even had to walk or fear passing out. I finished the race with a time of 36:09. I had hoped to be around 35 minutes, and so this was not far off of my goal. I did finish the race and that was important also. I actually placed in the top few of my age group for our Division, so I was able to earn a few points for PlattForm.

Since that day, I have been running more and more often, and have actually signed up for a half marathon in October. Both my wife and I are training for the Kansas City Marathon's 13.1 mile race.

We still have some time before the competition, and we will use that time to train. We've got a training schedule that should adequately prepare us for the race, and will also help us get into shape.

Wish us luck, we'll need it!

No comments: